Johnston Road Streetscape Revitalization
Construction work for the Johnston Road Streetscape Revitalization Project started in Spring 2018. This project will involve the reconstruction and beautification of Johnston Road’s streetscape, including:
- New widened sidewalks and convenient crosswalks;
- Create areas for seating such as outdoor Cafe seating along the newly widened sidewalks;
- Tree-lined seating areas and green space; and
- New technologies and planting strategies to allow replaced trees to grow and spread their roots without impacting pedestrian safety, business accessibility, and City Utilities.
We are striving to minimize public impact over the long term and will take this opportunity to simultaneously upgrade the critical water, sewer and street infrastructure which will help increase capacity and improve the reliability of the existing older watermains, sanitary sewers and storm sewers to better serve this growing neighbourhood.
The Johnston Road Revitalization Project will improve accessibility, safety and ease of use, and revitalize Johnston Road as White Rock’s commercial and cultural ‘high street’ as well as the gateway into our beautiful City by the Sea!
This capital project started in March of 2018 and is expected to be completed in October 2018.
Building New Water and Sewer Infrastructure and Decommissioning the old:
Aging infrastructure is part of the normal life cycle of any municipality. Work to provide critical upgrades to your water and sewer connection are now near completion for phase 1 of Johnston Road Revitalization project. Check out the pictures below to see the progress!
Background and Public Consultation
The City is committed to supporting businesses in White Rock by creating opportunities through capital project investments that will continue to attract residents and visitors throughout our beautiful seaside community. An area of focus for the City is the upper Johnston Road area between North Bluff Road and Thrift Avenue. As the commercial and cultural heart of the Town Centre, the revitalization of this area will improve the vibrancy, functionality, and walkability of the Johnston Road corridor.
Building on past Johnston Road studies and consultations, the City re-engaged the community to develop a collaborative Concept Development Plan for Johnston Road beginning in 2016, and hired Studio Parsons and ETA Landscape Architecture to assist with this collaborative streetscape design process. With input from the community and business stakeholders, a concept design was developed and selected by Council in April 2017.
The project issued Tenders on BC Bid to attract qualified General Contractors to bid on phase 1 and phase 2 (North Bluff to Thrift) of Johnston Road Streetscape Revitalization Project. The Tenders were also placed on the City’s website on the Tenders and RFPs page.
The tender is anticipated to close on February 9, 2018. The scope of the project includes upgrades such as:
- Sidewalk replacements to improve accessibility, remove trip hazards, and provide a smooth surface for walkers, strollers and wheelchairs
- Removal and replacement of boulevard trees, and installation of Silva cells to improve soil volume and long-term viability of the tree canopy
- Decorative mid-block pedestrian crosswalks, with improved visibility for pedestrian safety
- Better bus shelter locations for improved transit service and to avoid back-ups into intersections
- Rain garden areas that include planting and irrigation
- New bicycle racks, seating areas, and garbage/recycling receptacles
- New LED decorative style street lighting (including hanging baskets with irrigation)
- Sidewalk drainage improvements including storm sewer upgrades
- Watermain, replacement
A public workshop was held on February 10, 2016 at the White Rock Community Centre from 5:30 to 8:30 p.m. Preliminary results from the above survey were presented and participants of the interactive three-hour workshop were asked to:
- Develop preliminary principles to guide the work
- Discuss aspirations and obstacles to street improvements
- Share what makes Johnston Road unique
You can review the workshop presentation (PDF).
Thank you to all the residents, property owners and business owners who responded to the City’s survey. Survey results were presented at a Council meeting on July 25, 2016. You can review the Community Survey results report (PDF).
Concept Options - Open House
On December 8, 2016 the City held a Concept Options Open House which showcased three concept designs prepared for the revitalization of Johnston Road, from North Bluff Road to Roper Avenue. The designs were based on the feedback provided through the public workshop, community survey, and business consultation which took place earlier in 2016.
The display boards were also available for viewing at City Hall between December 9, 2016 and December 23, 2016. After reviewing community feedback on the options, staff reported to Council on a preferred hybrid option.
You can view the Event Boards (PDF) (and the proposed concept options).
Concept Design Selection
On April 24, 2017, Council selected the hybrid concept option presented by staff that combined elements of Option #2 (“Arts and Culture” theme) with the essential layout of Option #3 (“Green/Sustainability” theme), as well as laning and turning movement adjustments recommended by traffic consultants. Specific elements which are included in the hybrid concept include:
- Café zone for retail, restaurants and amenities
- Enhanced and enlarged boulevard planting areas to offset the potential need for tree removal
- Mid-block pedestrian crossings
- Pedestrian scale lighting with hanging baskets
- Rain gardens at the curb edge with silva (soil) cells and stormwater detention
- Seating pockets
- Utility corridor adjacent to curb edge (allows for easy exiting from on-street parking)
- West Coast contemporary character with emphasis on natural materials
Following concept selection, the project advanced to the detailed design stage, with McElhanney Consulting Services chosen to prepare the civil construction drawings. You can review this report (PDF) on our website.
September 4, 2018 - Johnston Road Project Update - Temporary Road Closure to Vehicle Traffic
August 28, 2018 - Noise Bylaw Extension - Johnston Road Project
August 10, 2018 - Johnston Road Project Update - Fortis BC Work
August 3, 2018 - Johnston Road Project Update - Watermain Work
July 26, 2018 - Notice of Road Work - Median Removal
July 9, 2018 - Noise Bylaw Extension - Notice to Residences
May 15, 2018 - Statement: Johnston Road Construction Notice
September 7, 2017 - UPDATED Friday, September 8 | Statement on Safe Site Access on Johnston Road
December 9, 2016 - Johnston Road Concept Options Open House Event Materials
November 17, 2016 - Save the Date for the Johnston Road Concept Options Open House!
January 29, 2016 - Johnston Road Streetscape Revitalization
JOHNSTON ROAD REVITALIZATION - IN PROGRESS
Removal of aging pipes.
Removal of damaging tree stumps and roots.
Silva cells in place for new trees.
Silva cells in place for new trees.
Installation of new pipes.
New watermain in construction.
New sanitary and storm service connections.
New manhole bases.