The City collects garbage curbside every other week from single family properties, eligible townhouses and apartment complexes of 6 units or less.
- Each property can put out up to two containers of garbage (cans, bags or combination) every other week for curbside collection.
- Each garbage container shall not exceed four cubic feet or 110 litres in size (one standard garbage can or standard size plastic garbage bag).
- Each garbage container, including contents, should not weigh more than 50 pounds.
- The City does not supply garbage containers. Standard size garbage containers are available for purchase at several retail locations.
- Confirm it was your collection day by checking the schedule Garbage & Recycling Schedule
- Were containers placed curbside by 8:00 a.m.
- Were containers visible to collection crews
- Is there a contamination notice/sticker advising containers are:
- Too heavy or too large (Up to 110L in size and 50 pounds in weight)
- Exceeds the limit
- Not properly presented
- Recycling not separated (Blue box for containers, red box for glass and yellow bag for paper)
- Recyclable items in garbage
- Plastic bags (biodegrable or compostable) are NOT accepted in the green can program
If none of the above apply, and materials were not collected by 4:30 p.m, please contact the Engineering and Municipal Operations Department at 604.541.2181 between the business hours of 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Please note: calls made outside of normal business hours are forwarded to the Fire Department.
The City has established Bylaw 2084 - a bylaw to provide for the collection, removal, disposal of recycling and solid waste to guide garbage and disposal practices and management.
Extra Household Garbage Stickers
If you have extra household garbage that will not fit within your curbside two can collection limit, place your excess garbage in a garbage bag and purchase an "extra garbage sticker" for the bag. Without the sticker, the collection crew will not pick up the extra bag. Extra garbage stickers are available at the following locations for $5.00 each:
- City Hall - 15322 Buena Vista Avenue, White Rock
- Kent Street Activity Centre - 1475 Kent Street, White Rock
- Centennial Arena - 14600 North Bluff Road, White Rock
- White Rock Community Centre - 15154 Russell Avenue, White Rock
- Engineering and Municipal Operations Department - 877 Keil Street, White Rock
Coexisting with Wildlife?
Critters may be attracted to you garbage can, green can or recycling bin, but there are steps you can take to ward them off. Use the tips below to avoid attracting troublesome pests to your trash cans.
Tips to Keeping Pesky Critters Out of Your Garbage/Green Can
- Freeze food before collection day to avoid odors
- Wrap food in newsprint or paper bags
- Use sturdy cans with secure lids
- Keep cans in garage or shed during the week
- Use bungee cord or weight on lid. Cord must be removed for collection
- Put cans out as close to collection time (8:00 a.m.) as possible
- Keep cans clean by rinsing with soapy water; leaving soap residue may also mask food odors
- Try sprinkling peppermint leaves or strong peppermint tea in or around cans to repel pests
Banned Items from the Garbage
There are certain items that Metro Vancouver disposal facilities do not accept either becuse there are already disposal programs set up for these items, or because they are hazardous to waste collection workers, the public and the environment. The following items are banned from garbage by Metro Vancouver and prohibited from the City's regular garbage, recycling and green waste collection:
At disposal sites, loads that contain banned materials can be assessed a fine, plus the cost of removal, clean up or remediation.
Should any of these items be disposed of in your garbage, recycling or green waste, you will receive a contamination notice and your container will not be emptied. If you get a notice, please remove the contaminants.
There is no public garbage, green waste, or recycling drop-off location available in White Rock.
Residents and businesses can bring their surplus garbage or green waste for a fee to one of the following closest depots:
- Surrey Transfer Station 9770-192 Street, Surrey 604.681.5600
- Delta Transfer Station (Vancouver Landfill) 5400-72nd Street, Delta 604.873.7000
- Aldergrove Transfer Station 1070-272nd Street, Aldergrove 604.681.5600
Contact the depots directly for disposal rates, hours and acceptable items. For more information on disposal facilities, check out Metro Vancouver's website.
If you are unsure of how to dispose of or recycle unwanted items try: