The City's Bylaw Enforcement Department upholds and enforces a wide variety of City bylaws relating to quality of life and land use, including nuisance (noise, unsightliness, smoke) and other incompatibilities. For reference only, a list of our most frequently requested bylaws can be located on the Bylaws page.
If you are unable to locate a specific bylaw, or if you need the most up-to-date information on a particular bylaw, please email the Clerks Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Inquiries & Complaints
Please contact Bylaw Enforcement regarding any inquiries or complaints through the following methods:
- Call Bylaw Enforcement at 604-541-2146
- Email Bylaw Enforcement at email@example.com
Frequently Asked Questions
Staff recommend that any complaints received by the City should be initiated in writing by the complainant. These complaints should include the following information:
- Civic Address of the Complainant
- Civic Address of the Offending Property
- Contact Information of Complainant (Main Phone, Cell Phone, Email Address)
- Detailed Description of Complaint
- Name of Complainant
To file a complaint, please complete the following Bylaw Enforcement Complaint Form (PDF). You can submit a completed copy of this form by email to Bylaw Enforcement (firstname.lastname@example.org) or in person at City Hall. You can also contact Bylaw Enforcement at 604-541-2146.
As part of professional practice at the City of White Rock, a complainant's identity is kept confidential. If the complainant is the only witness, or if prosecution is contemplated, only then will the identity of a complaint be made public. This will be discussed with the complainant prior to further action being taken.
Once staff receive a complaint, it is reviewed to determine if it is valid and related to a City bylaw:
- If the complaint is valid and related to a City bylaw, a file will be created and will be assigned to a Bylaw Enforcement officer. A full investigation will be undertaken, and if a violation of a bylaw exists, the offending party will be asked to take steps to comply with the bylaw.
- If the complaint is valid, but not within the jurisdiction of the City, you will be provided with contact information for the applicable agency.
Like all other local governments, the City of White Rock uses a 'complaint-based' bylaw enforcement process. This means that almost all investigations result from community complaints. This system gives priority to these bylaw infractions of greatest concern to White Rock citizens.
While there are numerous methods of enforcement available to the City of White Rock, enforcement typically occurs through the following means:
- Issuance of Ticket/ Fine: If voluntary compliance cannot be achieved, or is not occurring, Bylaw Enforcement may write tickets and issue fines to the offending party.
- Legal Action: If compliance cannot be achieved through voluntary means, or through the issuance of tickets or fines, then the City may proceed with legal action.
- Voluntary Compliance: Bylaw Enforcement Officers will always attempt to achieve compliance with the offending party through voluntary means. Staff may also prepare a compliance plan with the offending party to accommodate unusual circumstances, giving the offending party extra time to comply with City regulations.
All tickets/ MTIs can be paid directly upstairs at Reception in City Hall. Parking tickets are paid upstairs at Reception in City Hall. You can also pay these tickets online at MyWhiteRock..