Holidays are a wonderful time to make memories with your family. But make sure that you remember your holidays for all the right reasons. After all, nothing dampens the holiday spirit like a fire or other accident. With a few simple tips you can ensure that a safe and fun time is had by all.
Fireworks Are Not Permitted in the City of White Rock
Every year, thousands of people - most of them children - are treated in emergency rooms for serious injuries related to fireworks. Fireworks (sparklers and firecrackers included) are not toys.
The City of White Rock has banned the sale, use and discharge of fireworks. Some of the important points for Fire Rescue Service members are:
- No person may fire or discharge Fireworks within the City boundaries unless a permit to do so is approved by White Rock Fire Rescue
- No person may have Fireworks within the City boundaries
- No person may offer for sale, sell, give or trade Fireworks within the City boundaries
- Avoid tricks that could cause bodily injury, destroy property or cause a fire.
- Check candy before allowing kids to eat it.
- Do not purchase Halloween costumes and other items which are not marked “Flameproof” or “Flame-Retardant.”
- Don't get caught up in the holiday spirit - make sure your children trick-or-treat safely.
- If your kids go trick-or-treating after dusk, make sure they have a flashlight and are wearing retro reflective material. Dress children in warm, light coloured clothing so that they may be easily seen when crossing the street
- Rather than buying a mask, use makeup to decorate children. That way, they can see more easily.
- Remind children to skip houses that are not well-lit.
- Check the water level daily
- Cut 1 inch off the trunk to aid water absorption
- Don't block stairways or entrances
- If you have a natural tree make sure it isn't losing needles (this means it is too dry and poses an increased fire hazard).
- If you purchase an artificial tree, make sure it is flame resistant and CSA or ULC approved.
- Never use lighted candles on or near a Christmas tree, be it natural or artificial
- Position your tree at least a meter from heaters, fireplaces and other heat sources.
- Secure the tree so that it doesn't tip over
- Use a tree stand that holds at least 1 gallon of water. Refill it every two days.
- Do not let young children plug or unplug the lights
- Do not overload extension cords or electrical outlets
- Do not string more than 3 sets of lights together
- Do not use frayed or damaged strings of lights or extension cords
- Keep excess electrical cord away from high traffic areas
- Make sure that replacement bulbs are of equivalent or lower wattage than the manufacturer's recommendation
- Never use indoor lights outdoors
- Never use staplers to secure cords
- Never yank on the cord to unplug lights. Pull the plug from the outlet
- Turn off and unplug all holiday lights when you leave home or go to sleep
- Use fewer lights when decorating for energy savings and increased safety
- Use only CSA or ULC approved light sets
- Use a timer to turn lights on and off in your absence