Collection & Containers
The City of White Rock provides weekly curbside recycling for single family homes, eligible townhouses and apartment complexes of 6 units or less. Recycling is collected in 3 streams and items must be sorted into the appropriate container for recycling:
- Red box is for non-deposit glass container recycling
- Yellow bag is for paper / cardboard / newspaper recycling
- Blue box is for plastic and metal container recycling
Recycling containers are available for purchase and pickup. There is a fee for red and blue recycling boxes. If you would like to purchase blue or red recycling boxes or require a yellow bag:
- Please complete the online form Request for Recycling Containers, Green Waste Stickers or Extra Garbage Pickup Stickers
- Visit White Rock City Hall, 15322 Buena Vista Ave. Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. except statutory holidays.
Which Container to Put Recycling In?
Not sure if the materials should be placed in the blue box, yellow bag or red box for recycling?
- Search the item in the City's Put Waste In Its Place to find out if it is included in the City's curbside collection or can be taken to a drop off depot for recycling
- View a brochure of Recycling Materials Collected Curbside (PDF)
Please do not put recycling curbside in any other type of bag or container. These containers will not be collected.
- Cardboard must be flattened, folded or cut to fit inside the yellow recycling bag. We cannot collect larger pieces of cardboard so the crews will leave any cardboard that is not in the recycling bag.
- Glass must be placed into the red bin because of its tendency to break and contaminate other recyclables. Glass is still a recyclable product, but will not be accepted in your blue recycling bin.
- It is important that only the correct items go in your recycling bag and boxes. If your bag or box contains items the City does not collect curbside, we can not collect your recycling. If possible, the crew will leave a sticker on the bag or box to let you know why it could not be collected.
Not sure if an item can be recycled? Enter the material or item in the City's Put Waste In Its Place app for options.
- Search the Recycling Council of BC's website or call the Recycling Hotline 604-732-9253.
- Excess cardboard to recycle? Check the RCBC Recyclopedia for the nearest drop off depot. The City of White Rock does not provide any public drop off recycling depots.
- The Extended Producer Responsibility Programs in BC offers many recycling options. Always call ahead to check for drop off information, restrictions and locations:
- BC Used Oil Management Association motor oil, oil filters, oil & antifreeze containers, antifreeze
- Canadian Battery Association recycling of lead-acid batteries
- Call 2 Recycle rechargeable batteries, single use batteries and cell phones
- Recycle My Electronics end of life electronics recycling
- ElectroRecycle small appliances and power tools
- Return It Bottle Depots beverage container recycling
- Health Products Stewardship prescription drugs and over the counter medications
- Major Appliance Recycling end of life major household appliance recycling
- Outdoor Power Equipment electric power outdoor equipment
- Product Care Recycling left over paint, household hazardous waste, lights and smoke/CO alarms
- Recycle My Cell cell phones and cell phone accessories
- Thermostat Recovery Program thermostat recycling
- Tire Stewardship BC scrap tire recycling
- Retailer Take Back Programs many retailers have begun to offer voluntary recycling programs for a variety of materials.
Recycle BC is a non-profit organization responsible for residential packaging and printed paper recycling throughout British Columbia. The City of White Rock participates in the Recycle BC program. For more information on the program please visit Recycle BC.