All dogs over the age of four months residing in White Rock must have a valid dog licence. Should your dog ever get lost or stolen, the license on your dog’s collar is the fastest way to contact you.
Dog licensing is regulated under the conditions and requirements of the Animal Control and Licensing Bylaw and is primarily used for insuring dog identification and proof of ownership. Dog licensing also allows our municipality to provide more services such as dog parks and other programs and allows for the gathering of statistical data.
How do I register / renew my dog for a licence?
- Apply online with Dogs eApply
- In person at City Hall, 15322 Buena Vista Avenue.
To register your dog for a license for the first time, you will need the dogs:
- name, breed, colour, sex, picture and spay/neuter certificate*
* You can receive a reduced rate if your dog is spayed or neutered. You will need to have your Spay/Neuter Certificate, or documentation from your veterinarian that indicates that your dog is spayed/neutered, attach with your application.
- Dog licence renewal payments can be made online, in-person, or by mail.
Every dog owner shall ensure that a valid dog licence tag is displayed on the dog at all times by affixing it to the dog collar, harness, or other suitable device. A dog licence tag with an identification number shall last for the duration of the dog’s life. A tag no longer needs to be replaced when renewing a dog licence at the beginning of each calendar year.
How long is my dog's license valid?
- Dog licences are valid from January 1 to December 31 in the year it is issued.
- Dog licence renewal forms are mailed in December to owners for dogs on record and are due and payable on January 1.
How will I receive my dog tag?
Dog tags will be mailed out if registering your dog online or they can be picked up in person at City Hall.
Applications for the following dogs must be completed in person:
- BC Guide and Service Dog
- Police Dog
- Dog deemed guard, aggressive, vicious or dangerous
Dog licence fees:
|Altered Dog (each)||$25|
|Unaltered Dog (each)||$40|
|Licence Tag Replacement||$10|
- Dog licence fees are available under Schedule "A" - Dog License Fees of Animal Control and Licensing Bylaw.. This includes yearly renewals.
- Proof of spay/neuter status must be provided to the City of White Rock to receive the reduced fee.
- A summary of these fees is provided below:
If your dog is picked up by our Animal Control Officer, every effort will be made to contact the owner prior to impounding. Once the dog is impounded the owner could be assessed for the following charges:
- Dog at large fine - $100
- Dog unlicenced fine - $50
- Impound fees - $80 (no licence) or $60 (with a licence)
- Kennel impound - Separate fees (Contracted out)
I no longer have my dog / I've moved out of the City, who do I contact?
If you no longer have a dog that was previously licensed or if you no longer live in the City of White Rock, contact the Planning and Development Services Department at 604-541-2139 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Inquiries and complaints:
For inquiries related to animal regulations, dog licensing and fees, email email@example.com or call 604-541-2139. If you have a complaint or an issue related to animals (including dogs or exotic animals), email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 604-541-2146.