Pier & Promenade
White Rock’s promenade runs almost the entire length of the beach and provides lots of ways to get to the beach and attractions. Take your time and stroll from one East beach to West beach and enjoy the beautiful ocean scenery.
White Rock Pier
The 470-metre-long White Rock Pier is a major attraction in White Rock, and is a destination filled with family memories, walks on the beach and fish and chips.
This unique wood construction was built in 1914 and underwent restoration in 1977. In December 2018, it was torn in half during a winter storm and was repaired in time for a summer reopening in 2019.
Facts about the White Rock Pier:
- Originally constructed in 1914/15
- Extends north-south into Semiahmoo Bay
- Unique wood construction
- 470 metres long
- Underwent restoration in 1977
- Breakwater located at its southern end
- Significantly damaged during the severe storm of Dec. 20, 2018, with wind gusts exceeding 90/km hour, heavy rain and a heavy tide
- Damaged promenade was reconstructed and reopened in July 2019
- Official reopening took place Sept. 21, 2019
- Dogs are not allowed on the pier at any time
Restoring the Pier
On December 20, 2018, a 91 km/h windstorm, combined with heavy rain and a king tide, destroyed a third of the historic White Rock Pier and the western wharf and floats.
With the support the Province and the community, the City repaired the damage to the pier, however the remaining two-thirds of the Pier requires reconstruction to meet current seismic safety requirements. The estimated cost to complete the restoration work is $15M.
As a central piece of cultural and recreational infrastructure, reconstructing the pier will preserve White Rock’s “crown jewel” for residents, visitors, and future generations.
The Pier from your Chair
Want to see what’s happening at the White Rock Pier right now? Take a peek at the Pier Camera.
|Area||Distance in Feet||Distance in Miles||Distance in Kilometres|
|Pier||1,542 feet||0.28 miles||0.47 kilometres|
|Pier to Bay Street||3,116 feet||0.59 miles||0.95 kilometres|
|Pier to Finlay Street||4,083 feet||0.77 miles||1.24 kilometres|
|Promenade||7,199 feet||1.36 miles||2.19 kilometres|
Please note, that the following are prohibited on the pier and promenade:
- Inline Skating
- Dogs are not allowed on White Rock's Pier
- The City of White Rock will allow dogs on two-metre leashes on White Rock’s Promenade between Oct. 1 and March 31. Visit whiterockcity.ca/dogs for more information.