Advisory Design Panel
Important Note: In order to help stop the spread of COVID-19, the Provincial Health Officer has implemented limitations on gatherings. To respect this limitation and keep the public safe, the City of White Rock is committed to the health and safety of our community. In keeping with Ministerial Order No. M192 from the Province of British Columbia, Committee meetings will take place without the public in attendance until further notice. Committee Meetings are currently held digitally using Microsoft Teams. The City will continue to monitor the health advisories and limitations established by the Province.
Advisory Design Panel Meetings
Panel meetings are called and scheduled by the Department as required. Meetings shall generally not be held more often than two times in one month. Notice concerning the time and location of Panel meetings is provided in the Peace Arch News, and on the City’s Events Calendar.
All meetings begin at 3:30pm and are limited to three hours. The dates scheduled in 2021 are:
|January 26, 2021|
|February 16, 2021 - Cancelled|
|March 16, 2021 - Cancelled|
|April 20, 2021|
|May 18, 2021|
|June 15, 2021|
|July 20, 2021|
|August 17, 2021|
|September 21, 2021|
|October 19, 2021|
|November 16, 2021|
|December 2, 2021|
Meetings of the ADP are dependent on there being development proposals or other matters subject to review. As such, meetings may be cancelled if there are no items to be received by the Panel.
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
The Advisory Design Panel is an independent body appointed by City Council that independently evaluates, analyzes, and assesses the designs of various development application proposals as part of the development permit process. The Panel also provides comment on City plans and projects from time to time.
The purpose of the Panel is advise Council on the quality of design of the built environment of the City, and specifically to provide comments and suggestions to improve the design quality of new development and redevelopment in the City. The Panel reviews many types of proposals from intensive single-family residential development, duplex and triplexes, multi-unit residential developments, to major mixed-use development proposals throughout the City.
In review of development permit applications, the Panel considers the following matters:
- Ensure compliance with the other relevant City of White Rock bylaws
- Ensure that all new development is of a high standard
- Ensure that buildings are designed with all due regard for public safety and accessibility
- Ensure that new buildings and structures harmonize with neighbouring development
- The intended function of the project, and the existing and future context within which the project is located
- Promote high quality building design, which contributes to the improvement of the public realm
- The applicable Development Permit Guidelines documented in the White Rock Official Community Plan
The Advisory Design Panel is regulated by the White Rock Planning Procedures Bylaw and the Advisory Design Panel Terms of Reference.
Advisory Design Panel Resources
- The City of White Rock’s Guide to Advisory Design Panel Submissions (PDF)
- Advisory Design Panel - Terms of Reference (PDF)
- White Rock Planning Procedures Bylaw, 2017, Number 2234 (PDF)
- White Rock Official Community Plan, 2017, Number 2220 (PDF)
If you require information on specific Development Permit area guidelines, please review Part D of the White Rock Official Community Plan. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact the department.
|Joe Muego, Architect, Chairperson (Term: 2022)||Pau Rust, Community Member, Vice-Chairperson (Term: 2022)|
|Fay Kubacki, Community Member (Term: 2022)||Nicholas Waissbluth, Architect (Term: 2021)|
|Phil Byer, Community Member (Term: 2022)||Ruchir Dhall, Landscape Architect (Term: 2021)|
|Sharon Greyson, Representative of the White Rock BIA (Term: 2021)||VACANT, Representative for people with physical challenges|