- Our Community
- Parks and Trails
- All Abilities / All Ages Playground
All Abilities / All Ages Playground
The City of White Rock, in partnership with the Peace Arch Hospital Foundation, is enhancing the fun and health benefits of an inclusive outside playground for people of all abilities and all ages at Generations Playground!
The redevelopment of the park into an accessible playground will establish barrier-free access to this beautiful green space. People of all abilities from small children, youth, adults, seniors and those using personal assistive devices such as walkers and wheelchairs will have the freedom to use this pristine outdoor area. The official opening of "Generations Playground” - the City’s first All Abilities & All Ages Playground took place on Saturday, September 1, 2018.
On Saturday, September 1, 2018, the official opening of “Generations Playground” - the City of White Rock's first All Abilities & All Ages Playground took place at Ruth Johnson Park, located at 14600 North Bluff Road, in White Rock.
The All Abilities / All Ages Playground Committee met with the proponent and emphasized the importance of the playground appealing to all ages and all abilities, including the following:
- Age Appropriate - Playground to be developed in age-appropriate zones.
- Inclusion - Develop an All-Abilities playground where people of all ages and abilities can participate in physical fitness activities in an outdoor environment.
- Security - People need to feel safe while using the equipment.
- Stimulation of Senses - Unique equipment that uses a variety of materials and colours to heighten senses, experience and overall development.
- Surfacing - To provide fall protection, yet have low maintenance and an inviting appearance.
Peace Arch Hospital Foundation has partnered with the City of White Rock and White Rock Firefighters Charity Association to bring the fun and health benefits of playing outside back into our community by building a $900,000 welcoming outdoor green space designed for people of all ages and abilities.
The City of White Rock is proud to have provided the land for the playground, a $225,000 donation towards the All Abilities & All Ages Playground and the ongoing maintenance of the park and playground equipment.
Corporate Reports Related to the All Ages/All Abilities Park at Ruth Johnson Park Initiative:
- June 27, 2016: Delegation from Peach Arch Hospital Foundation – “All Abilities Playground” (p.2)
- July 25, 2016: Corporate Report, “All Abilities Playground at Centennial Park” (p.24)
- October 24, 2016: Corporate Report, “All Abilities Playground at Centennial Park – Consultation” (p.39)
- December 12, 2016: Corporate Report, “All Abilities Playground at Centennial Park” (p. 82)
- February 19, 2018: Corporate Report, “All Abilities/All Ages Playground – Centennial Park” (p.31)
To watch the live presentations of these Corporate Reports at the Regular Council Meetings noted above, you can do so by going to our video streaming service page and chose the respective date of the Council Meeting you would like to view.
Centennial Park All Abilities/All Ages Playground Committee
A Ruth Johnson Park All Abilities Playground Committee was created to oversee the Playground project. The Committee is comprised of representatives from the City of White Rock and the Peace Arch Hospital and Community Health Foundation.
To read the agendas and minutes of the Committee, please go to:
www.whiterockcity.ca >> Council & Committees >> Committees >> All Abilities Playground Committee
The City of White Rock, in partnership with the Peace Arch Hospital Foundation, is enhancing the fun and health benefits of an inclusive outside playground for people
of all abilities and all ages at Ruth Johnson Park!
The idea for an all-abilities park came out of the Strategic Plan for the South Surrey-White Rock Healthy Community strategy, which was endorsed by White Rock City Council, in January of 2015. In addition to the City of White Rock contributing to the development of the Strategic Plan for a Healthier Community, in South Surrey-White Rock (2015 to 2019) (PDF), the City is also proud to have contributed land, ongoing maintenance, and $225,000 towards the All Abilities/All Ages Playground project at Ruth Johnson Park.
To learn more about the All Ages / All Abilities Park and/or to donate to this initiative, please visit Peace Arch Hospital Foundation’s project page.
View corporate reports related to the All Ages / All Abilities Park.
August 29, 2018 - All Abilities & All Ages Playground Opens September 1
May 8, 2017 - Upgrades Ahead for Playground at Centennial Park