The City of White Rock, in partnership with the Peace Arch Hospital Foundation, is enhancing the fun and health benefits of an inclusive outside playground for people of all abilities and all ages at Generations Playground!
The redevelopment of the park into an accessible playground will establish barrier-free access to this beautiful green space. People of all abilities from small children, youth, adults, seniors and those using personal assistive devices such as walkers and wheelchairs will have the freedom to use this pristine outdoor area. The official opening of "Generations Playground” - the City’s first All Abilities & All Ages Playground took place on Saturday, September 1, 2018.
On Saturday, September 1, 2018, the official opening of “Generations Playground” - the City of White Rock's first All Abilities & All Ages Playground took place at Ruth Johnson Park, located at 14600 North Bluff Road, in White Rock.
The All Abilities / All Ages Playground Committee met with the proponent and emphasized the importance of the playground appealing to all ages and all abilities, including the following:
- Age Appropriate - Playground to be developed in age-appropriate zones.
- Inclusion - Develop an All-Abilities playground where people of all ages and abilities can participate in physical fitness activities in an outdoor environment.
- Security - People need to feel safe while using the equipment.
- Stimulation of Senses - Unique equipment that uses a variety of materials and colours to heighten senses, experience and overall development.
- Surfacing - To provide fall protection, yet have low maintenance and an inviting appearance.
Peace Arch Hospital Foundation has partnered with the City of White Rock and White Rock Firefighters Charity Association to bring the fun and health benefits of playing outside back into our community by building a $900,000 welcoming outdoor green space designed for people of all ages and abilities.
The City of White Rock is proud to have provided the land for the playground, a $225,000 donation towards the All Abilities & All Ages Playground and the ongoing maintenance of the park and playground equipment.