Dogs in White Rock
Dogs are allowed on White Rock’s Waterfront Promenade from Oct. 1 until March 31.
Thanks for a great season. See you again in October.
This page offers helpful links to information about having a dog in White Rock, including licencing, bylaws and where to find an off-leash dog park. We encourage dog owners to follow the rules to make sure we are all good neighbours.
- Dogs in White Rock must be leashed and licenced
- Owners walking their dogs must pick up after them and dispose of the feces in garbage cans
- Dogs should have up-to-date vaccines
- Dogs are allowed in Memorial Park off Marine Drive year-round
- Dogs can go off-leash in the off-leash dog park located in Ruth Johnson Park
- Dogs are allowed on the Promenade from Oct.1 to March 31
- Dogs are not allowed on the White Rock Pier.
Questions and Answers: Dogs in White Rock
Sept. 16, 2020
- Are dogs allowed on the White Rock Promenade?
Dogs are allowed on the White Rock Promenade between Oct. 1 and March 31.
- Where is the promenade?
The White Rock Promenade is located south of Marine Drive.
- Are dogs allowed on the White Rock Pier?
Dogs are not allowed on the White Rock Pier at any time.
- Are dogs allowed on the beach?
The Province of B.C. has jurisdiction for the beach, which is part of the Boundary Bay Wildlife Management Area.
The beach is a critical, internationally significant habitat for year-round, migrating and wintering waterfowl populations, along with important fish and marine mammal habitat. The Wildlife Act does not allow off-leash dogs on the beach. Dogs are permitted with a leash of less than two metres.
Violations can be reported 24/7 to the Report All Poachers and Polluters (RAPP) hotline at 1-877-952-7277.
- What is the Dogs on the Promenade Task Force?
The Dogs on the Promenade Task Force is group that includes residents and members of City Council, and was formed at the direction of City Council. The task force began meeting in June 2019 to determine how to gauge the success of the Dogs on the Promenade pilot project. The task force will have one final meeting in 2020 and report back to City Council.
Where can my dog go off-leash?
You can bring your dog to the off-leash area at Ruth Johnson Park.
What if I have an aggressive dog?
Please visit White Rock’s Animal Control and Licensing Bylaw for more information.
Why are the rail tracks off limits?
It is illegal to enter a railway except at a legal crossing. Railway tracks, trestles, yards and equipment are private property. Walking or playing on them is illegal, and trespassers are subject to arrest and fines. See Railway Crossing Facts and Tips from Transport Canada.
How can I limit the amount of dog waste going to landfill?
Dog waste can be flushed down the toilet. First, the waste must be removed from a bag, if it’s in one. Dog waste can also be removed by a dog waste collection company or composted using a dog waste composter.