Marine Drive Temporary Lane Closure: Have Your Say
The City of White Rock temporarily closed one lane of traffic on Marine Drive from June 7 to Aug. 11, 2021 to extend patio space for restaurants, helping them during the COVID-19 pandemic.
The decision was made by Council in May 2021. The westbound lane was closed from Vidal Street to Maple Street, with access at the residential area known as the hump available for on-street permit parking. Detour signs and 30/km hour signs were posted, and visitors to Marine Drive were encouraged to park at the West Beach Parkade.
The lane closure was to stay in place until restaurants on Marine Drive could return to dining at 100-per-cent capacity. Once Step 3 of BC’s Restart plan was in place, restaurants could return to full indoor dining.
Council listened to business owners on the East Beach and the West Beach share their experiences of the two-month lane closure. Council would now like to hear from all businesses and all residents regarding their experiences related to the temporary lane closure.
Please complete the short survey available on the City’s engagement platform, talkwhiterock.ca, on or before Sept. 3 so we can include your suggestions in any future planning of lane closures in White Rock.
- July 26, 2021 Regular Council meeting including video: Regular Council Meeting - July 26, 2021 (escribemeetings.com)
- July 12, 2021, Special Council Meeting, including video: West Beach Business Owners/ Operators
- July 5, 2021, Special Council Meeting, including video: East Beach Business Owners / Operators
- May 10, 2021 Council meeting, including video: Regular Council Meeting - May 10, 2021 (escribemeetings.com)
- April 26, 2021 Council meeting, including video: Regular Council Meeting - April 26, 2021 (escribemeetings.com)
- Aug. 6, 2021: Have your say about the Marine Drive temporary lane closure
- July 19, 2021: Marine Drive returns to two-way traffic on Aug. 12 following temporary lane closure
- July 13, 2021 Media Release: Marine Drive returns to two-way traffic as soon as Aug. 7 following temporary closure
- June 1, 2021 Media Release: Temporary Marine Drive lane closure to expand patio space begins June 7
- May 11, 2021 Media Release: White Rock to close one lane of Marine Drive to extend restaurant patio space