Marine Drive Temporary Lane Closure: Help for White Rock Restaurants
The City of White Rock has temporarily closed one lane of traffic on Marine Drive starting June 7 to extend patio space for restaurants, helping them during the COVID-19 pandemic. The decision was made by City Council in May 2021.
The temporary lane closure will be in place until August 11, 2021. The barriers will be removed that evening and two-way traffic will return on August 12, 2021.
Eastbound travel is permitted on Marine Drive from Vidal Street to Maple Street. Westbound traffic is closed between Maple Street and Vidal Street. Vehicles can detour via Maple Street to Victoria Avenue and Columbia Avenue or via Stayte Road and more northerly east/west streets. The westbound lane on Marine Drive will have traffic barriers separating pedestrians and diners from motorists.
The safety of diners and pedestrians is a top priority, as is access to parking for Marine Drive residents.
For questions about the closure, please see the questions and answers below or email email@example.com
- July 12, 2021, Special Council Meeting, including video: West Beach Business Owners/ Operators
- July 5, 2021, Special Council Meeting, including video: East Beach Business Owners / Operators
- May 10, 2021 Council meeting, including video: Agenda for May 10 Council meeting
- April 26, 2021 Council meeting, including video: Regular Council Meeting - April 26, 2021 (escribemeetings.com)
- July 13, 2021 Media Release: Marine Drive returns to two-way traffic as soon as Aug. 7 following temporary closure
- June 1, 2021 Media Release: Temporary Marine Drive lane closure to expand patio space begins June 7
- May 11, 2021 Media Release: White Rock to close one lane of Marine Drive to extend restaurant patio space
Questions and Answers
1. Why has the City temporarily closed Marine Drive?
Throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, the City of White Rock has continued to provide essential services and has worked with all levels of government to provide residents and businesses with the best possible support.
The pandemic has created challenging times and is affecting the businesses at White Rock’s Waterfront particularly hard.
To help the struggling restaurants stay open, the City of White Rock temporarily closed one lane of Marine Drive this season to extend patio space for restaurants.
2. Which lane is temporarily closed on Marine Drive?
The temporary closure allows eastbound travel only using the south lane on Marine Drive.
3. How has the City ensured public safety?
The safety of diners, pedestrians and motorists is a top priority in the plan for the temporary lane closure.
4. When does the temporary lane closure take place?
The temporary lane closure on Marine Drive began on June 7 and will be in place until August 11, 2021. The barriers will be removed that evening and two-way traffic will return on August 12, 2021.
5. How were local residents informed?
The City of White Rock connected directly with residents affected by the closure and reopening, including Marine Drive residents. The City used media relations, the City’s website, advertising and social media to provide updates and information.
6. What happened to resident permit parking on Marine Drive?
The City’s team developed a traffic plan that ensured residents who live on Marine Drive could access street parking.
7. How much does the temporary lane closure cost? How is it being paid for?
The temporary lane closure has cost $195,000 to date. This will be paid for from the money received by the City through the COVID‐19 Safe Restart Grant for Local Governments.
8. What happened with the bus routes that use Marine Drive?
TransLink worked with the City to determine the best temporary route for each route that uses Marine Drive. Visit translink.ca for details.
9. Are delivery trucks and garbage collection vehicles still operating on Marine Drive?
Arrangements have been made for delivery trucks and garbage collection vehicles to make their deliveries and pickups.
These maps are provided by the White Rock BIA.
10. How is White Rock Fire Rescue responding to emergencies on Marine Drive during the temporary closure?
White Rock Fire Rescue planned its operational response for the closed portion of Marine Drive on a block-by-block basis.
The response focuses on staging fire apparatus to allow for some traffic flow by using all the available space. The White Rock RCMP will assist with full road closures for all structure fire and alarm calls as considered necessary by the Fire officer in charge.
11. Is smoking permitted in the on-street, temporary patio area?
Smoking is not permitted. It is prohibited in a customer service area as indicated in Bylaw #1858, the City of White Rock Public Health Smoking Protection Bylaw.
12. How can I give input into the temporary lane closure on Marine Drive?
The City of White Rock will be publishing a survey for residents this summer at talkwhiterock.ca.