Over the next two years (2019-2020), the City will be working with the public to get feedback and make sure the community's views are understood and shared with Council so any updates made to the Official Community Plan (OCP) reflect the long-term needs of our community while balancing the needs of residents, local businesses, and property owners. The OCP provides a policy framework for Council by addressing issues such as housing, transportation, enhancing the waterfront, economic development, building heights and density, and the natural and social environment.
The City is starting the review with a community survey to collect data to help staff design our public outreach in a way that supports informed participation from all members of the community. An OCP Review involves significant public involvement from the beginning to the end so that its goals and policies reflect community concerns and hopes for the future. During an OCP update, the review process is open, transparent, and requires broad input from residents, elected officials, staff, and stakeholders.
An OCP is typically reviewed every five years to ensure it remains relevant and continues to meet the needs of the community, but changes to the OCP can be considered by Council in between major updates. Council has expressed their desire for re-engagement with the public on certain aspects of the current OCP which was adopted in October 2017, to ensure that it reflects the community's values and to provide additional support to the City's efforts.
Below is a list of topics that will be reviewed in the Official Community Plan:
- Strengthening Transit
- Greening the City
- Improving Housing Affordability
- Expanding Peace Arch Hospital
- Monitoring OCP Goals to Measure Success and Track Implementation
- Enhancing the Waterfront (Waterfront Enhancement Strategy)
- Reviewing the Town Centre (Height, Density and Public Space Network)
- Reviewing Building Heights outside of the Town Centre
Click here to start the OCP Review Online Community Survey and provide your input!
Save the Date!
There are several upcoming events in June and July where you can participate in the OCP Review. Further details will be shared on the City’s website as they are available. Please note that the workshops will require registration.
- Tuesday, June 25 (5:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.): OCP Review Open House – all topics except waterfront
- Thursday, June 27 (7:30 p.m. – 9:00 p.m.): Waterfront Community Forum
- Saturday, July 6 (1:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.): Town Centre Design Workshop #1
- Tuesday, July 9 (5:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m.): Town Centre Design Workshop #2
All events will be at the White Rock Community Centre at 15154 Russell Avenue.
PLANNING & DEVELOPMENT
15322 Buena Vista Avenue White Rock, BC V4B 1Y6
City Hall (Lower Level)