White Rock Fire Chief Phil Lemire presented the report City Preparations for COVID-19 at the March 17, 2020, Governance and Legislation Committee meeting.
Chief Lemire provided information related to COVID-19 and coronaviruses, the City of White Rock’s emergency response plan and the current global pandemic.
White Rock CAO Dan Bottrill introduced Chief Lemire, and the subject of COVID-19.
Mr. Bottrill said that the magnitude of this public health crisis is unprecedented in our lifetimes, and that it is a global issue that requires local action, requiring us all to do our part.
Chief Lemire said the City’s priorities at this time are:
- Continuing local government
- Maintaining emergency services, such as police and fire
- Maintaining essential City services, such as water treatment, waste collection and waste disposal
- Providing information to the public via information on the website, including links to trusted health information sources
- Closing public buildings to minimize the spread of infection.
Senior staff are meeting every day to keep the community and City employees safe. The City is in constant contact with Provincial and Regional partners to ensure the latest information and criteria are shared and applied.
The presentation includes an update as well as questions from members of City Council and answers from Chief Lemire and the City’s Senior Management Team.
Chief Lemire reminded people watching the livestreaming of the meeting to:
- Practise good hand hygiene
- Cover your mouth with your sleeve or a tissue when you cough
- Don’t touch your eyes
- Ensure you are social distancing (keeping one to two metres away from others)
- Stay at home and away from others when you are sick
Watch the livestream here. Visit www.whiterockcity.ca/COVID19 for up-to-date information about City news related to COVID-19.