The City of White Rock will receive a grant of $3.769 million under the Provincial government’s COVID‐19 Safe Restart Grant for Local Governments.
The City received a letter yesterday from the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing. The Province is providing up to $425 million for local operations impacted by COVID‐19 to support local governments as they deal with increased operating costs and lower revenue due to COVID‐19.
Eligible costs for the funding will include:
- Addressing revenues shortfalls
- Facility reopening and operating costs
- Emergency planning and response costs
- Bylaw enforcement and protective services like fire protection and police
- Computer and other electronic technology costs (to improve interconnectivity and virtual communications)
- Services for vulnerable persons (e.g. persons living with disabilities, mental illness or addictions, persons experiencing homelessness or other vulnerabilities)
- Other related costs.
City staff will incorporate potential options into the 2021 budget process starting in December.
Mayor, City of White Rock
“I am heartened, and grateful, on behalf of Council and the people of White Rock, to receive assistance from our Provincial government. COVID-19 has impacted us all and has increased costs to the City while decreasing revenues. The Province is demonstrating the importance of levels of government working together to get through this pandemic together.”