News Flash Home
The original item was published from 3/1/2022 4:17:08 PM to 3/1/2022 4:17:37 PM.
City News & Announcements
Posted on: March 1, 2022
[ARCHIVED] Council in Brief – February 28, 2022 Council Meeting
Question and Answer
- Two (2) submissions were received by Council by email:
- Question regarding neon light strips on new property developments and whether they fall within the City’s allowable parameters for brightness levels.
- Comments/ feedback received from a member of the public on the neon light strips on new building(s) question.
- Community members Shelley Mare and Kerry Wray attended to advocate for the trimming of the “hump” (the hill between East and West Beach), as in past practices.
- Council endorsed a motion to have staff provide a report back regarding the feasibility of bringing the maintenance of the “hump” greenery back to pre-2019 levels including compliance with new policies and budget implications.
- Staff Sergeant Kale Pauls appeared before Council to discuss the 2021 White Rock RCMP Annual Report.
- Doug Tennant from local non-profit UNITI made a presentation regarding the need for affordable and inclusive housing in the White Rock/ South Surrey area. UNITI is a partnership of three non-profit organizations that have been part of our community for decades: Semiahmoo House Society, Peninsula Estates Housing Society and The Semiahmoo Foundation
- The Fire Chief provided an update on COVID-19. It was clarified that currently there are no seating capacity limits for Council meetings; however, the use of masks in public spaces (such as Council meetings) is still required at this time.
Tree Protection, Canopy Enhancement and Management on City Lands Policy 611 - Update
- Council endorsed several updates to Tree Protection, Canopy Enhancement and Management on City Lands Policy 611. These changes were made in conjunction with recommendations from the Environmental Advisory Committee.
2022 Council Consideration of a By-Election
- Council directed that the City will not be conducting a By-Election in 2022 to fill the current vacancy on City Council. This meets the requirements noted in the Local Government Act. The next general Local Government Election will be held on Saturday, October 15, 2022.
Status update of Council's 2021-2022 Top Priorities
- An updated progress report was provided on Council’s top priorities. Progress can be viewed on the website dashboard.
Environmental Advisory Committee
- Council endorsed the Environmental Advisory Committee work plan for the remainder or their term.
Additional Committee Meetings
- Council supported the Economic Development Advisory Committee and the Housing Advisory Committee’s request for additional meetings in March.
BC Association of Farmers' Markets
- Council endorsed a recommendation to send a letter to the Minister of Health to inform of the positive impacts of BC Farmers and Farmers’ Markets have had in White Rock.
Roberts Bank Terminal 2 Project (RBT2) - Final Public Comment Period
- Council received correspondence from the City of Delta on the Roberts Bank Terminal 2 Project. A resolution was endorsed for Council to send a letter requesting postponement of a decision regarding the Roberts Bank Terminal 2 Project until a comparative analysis with the Deltaport Berth 4 project is undertaken and failing that requesting the project be denied on the basis of expected environmental impacts.
Burrard Inlet Rapid Transit In 10-Year Investment Plan
- Council received correspondence from the District of North Vancouver regarding the Burrard Inlet Rapid Transit in 10-year Investment Plan.
Council Representative Appointments were Announced to Two (2) Committees:
- 2022 Housing Advisory Committee: Councillor Manning, Chairperson and Councillor Trevelyan, Vice-Chairperson
- 2022 Economic Development Advisory Committee: Councillor Trevelyan, Chairperson, and Councillor Manning, Vice-Chairperson
- Council supported a resolution to formally request the creation of an Office of the Municipal Ethics Commissioner within the Ministry of Municipal Affairs to review and resolve allegations of misconduct. This request is being submitted via the annual Lower Mainland Government Association (LMGA) and the Union of British Columbia Municipalities (UBCM) conference for consideration.
Reconsideration - White Rock Promenade Sculpture Competition
- Council endorsed a motion to re-consider the White Rock Promenade Sculpture Competition event. Staff will be meeting with event organizers for the White Rock Promenade Sculpture Competition prior to the March 28th Regular Council meeting. Council will then be re-voting on this item to determine if it will be going forward.
Reconsideration - Bylaw 2418 White Rock Zoning Bylaw, 2012 No. 2000, Amendment (Cd-67 - 14937 Thrift Avenue And 1441, 1443-45, 1465 Vidal Street) Bylaw, 2022 No. 2418
- Council endorsed a recommendation to reconsider their vote on Bylaw 2418, which would allow for a four-storey 82-unit rental apartment building at 14937 Thrift Avenue and 1441, 1443-45 and 1465 Vidal Street.
- Council directed staff to work with the developer for the property to amend the proposal to address the massing of the building, landscaping, the corridor and the number of units in the building.
Centre Street Walkway Dedication For Councillor Helen Fathers
- Council endorsed a resolution to dedicate the Centre Street walkway project in memory of Councillor Helen Fathers. Going forward, the project will be named “Helen Fathers Centre Street Walkway”.
- Council discussed the current war in Ukraine and ways in which the City can support them. Staff is currently working with community groups to discuss fundraising ideas and events. More information on this will be provided when available.