April 22 is Earth Day. It’s an opportunity to remind ourselves that everyday really should be Earth Day! Adopt these five good habits to take care of our Earth:
- Fill your green bins! The City collects green waste (yard trimmings and food scraps) curbside every week. Each property can put out up to 10 containers of green waste (containers, kraft bags, bundles or combination) weekly for curbside collection. Yard trimmings, such as plants, flowers, grass cuttings, leaves and branches are allowed.
- Learn how to properly dispose/recycle your waste. Try the Put Waste In Its Place wizard! Enter the name of an item and find out how to dispose of the object – a lot of your waste can be diverted from the landfill.
- Think thrice about your clothes: reduce, repair, reuse to minimize waste. Textile waste is one of the fastest-growing categories of waste, currently accounting for five percent of the annual total garbage produced each year in the region. Test your knowledge with Earth Day’s sustainable fashion quiz.
- Ditch the plastic water bottles: fill a reusable water bottle before heading on your walk or hike. Plastic pollution is one of the world’s most complex problems. How much do you know about plastic pollution? Take the quiz.
- Switch to online billing: Sign up for MyWhiteRock to receive billing notifications directly to your inbox and reduce paper waste.
Learn more at earthday.ca