Did you know that our local Sources Food Bank provides weekly support to more than 600 people living our community? For the month of May, Mayor Walker is joining forces with other Metro Vancouver mayors in the Mayors’ Food Bank Challenge to make sure that our local food banks can keep serving those who need it.
Facts about food security in our region:
- 33 per cent of food bank users were children while representing only 19 per cent of the population
- 46 per cent are single-adult-led households
- 51 per cent are on social assistance or disability-related support
- With the sky rocketing gas prices and the high cost of living in BC, many food banks are seeing an increase in new client registrations. By supporting the Mayors’ Food Bank Challenge, food banks can continue providing much-needed healthy food to individuals and families in need.
- Summer is usually the most difficult time for parents as their children are out of school where they can no longer depend on school meal programs. Supporting food banks helps ensure children can have nutritious, fresh food to eat at home.
Making a donation is easy. Do it online from now until May 31 by visiting www.mayorschallenge.foodbank.bc.ca