After conducting major excavations to upgrade critical water and sewer infrastructure, installing soil-cell structures for the new trees, and addressing sidewalk safety matters on the east side of Johnson Road, the City of White Rock has reached a stage in the project where the City is now able to expedite the remaining construction work required to complete this phase. In order to do this, the following activities will occur from September 10, 2018 to September 15, 2018:
VEHICLE ACCESS LIMITED TO LOCAL BUSINESS DELIVERIES AND EMERGENCY VEHICLES
- To accelerate this stage of the construction, the City of White Rock is permitting CLCS (the project’s Prime Contractor) to close vehicular traffic access on Johnston Road between North Bluff Road and Russell Avenue (see map below).
- The closure starts at 5:00AM on Monday, September 10, 2018 and ends at 7:00PM on Saturday, September 15, 2018.
- CLCS will increase crew attendance and activity on site to accelerate project completion.
- Vehicle access will be limited to only business delivery vehicles and emergency vehicles.
- Traffic Management will be in place to lead out vehicles to alternative routes. There may be some traffic delays in this area.
- Transit routes will be temporarily redirected. Please check with TransLink when planning your trip to learn about changes to the transit route you take.
PEDESTRIAN TRAFFIC WILL REMAIN OPEN TO BUSINESSES ON JOHNSTON ROAD
The City is committed to ensuring pedestrians can get to Johnston Road businesses. Although there may be intermittent sidewalk closures, pedestrian access to Johnston Road businesses will still be available.
PARKING FOR CUSTOMERS
For businesses and customers visiting the area, free customer parking will be available at the parking lot on the corner of Johnston Road and Russell Avenue which can be accessed from Russell Avenue. Parking is also available along Johnston Road (Russell Avenue down to Thrift Avenue), and along Russell avenue as well.
Click Here to See Larger View of Road Closure Map in PDF Format)
AFTER SEPTEMBER 15, 2018
The City may permit CLCS— for very limited number of days— to close vehicle access to Johnston Road from North Bluff Road and Russell Avenue during work hours. Vehicle traffic will be resumed after work hours. Access for delivery vehicles and emergency vehicles will be available.
SCOPE OF WORK
The work includes the following:
- Excavation, removal and disposal of asphalt and fill
- Installation of soil-cells structure
- Concrete work, curbs and sidewalks
- Backfill, compaction, and asphalt paving
- Installation of streetlight bases
- The Johnston Road Revitalization project will involve the reconstruction and beautification of Johnston Road’s streetscape.
- Critical water and sewer infrastructure is also simultaneously being upgraded to minimize further construction impact and future costs.
To learn more about the Johnston Road Revitalization project, see some construction-related photos, and catch-up on previous news items about this capital project, please go to: www.whiterockcity.ca/JohnstonRoad