A public hearing took place at the start of the regular Council meeting regarding Bylaw 2440 for 877 Kent Street. If approved, the bylaw would allow for the subdivision of the property permitting two single-family dwellings on the lot.
Question and Answer
Two (2) members of the public spoke at question and answer period:
- A commercial property owner expressed concern over permit issuance backlogs and asked what Council and staff are doing to expedite the process.
Staff noted that within the 2023 budget there is a request to hire two (2) new positions within the Development Services Department which would expedite the current process. Hiring for these positions cannot be done until after the 2023 budget is approved by Council (the deadline to approve the budget is May 15, 2023; however, this could happen sooner).
Later in the evening, Council endorsed a resolution to issue a Request for Proposal (RFP) to hire temporary contracted Building Official services to assist staff with building permit application reviews in all application streams in order to reduce current building permit backlog.
- A member of the public asked if the city would consider negotiating a master contract with a private waste company to assist those living in multi-family dwellings.
Council provided direction at the January 16 Council meeting to remain with the status quo for garbage pickup, whereby multi-family and commercial solid waste collection is privately managed. Based on the RFP response, multi-family buildings would pay equal or possibly more if the city were to take this on as a city-managed service
Answers for questions will be posted on the City website when available.
Delegations and Presentations
Members from each of the following organizations provided information to Council:
- Members of the White Rock Museum and Archives attended to provide information on the organization and their plans for the future. View the presentation.
- MLA Trevor Halford attended to discuss the partnership between the City and the MLA’s office. View the presentation.
Special Events 2023
Council received a report outlining special events that took place in 2022 and returning events for 2023.
Council directed that both the White Rock Sea Festival and Bright Walk in White Rock remain as “Class A” events and the City will continue to organize and produce these events.
Healthy Community Grant Application
Council endorsed the City’s application for a Healthy Community Grant through the Peace Arch Hospital Foundation. If awarded, the grant would be used to purchase new cardio equipment for the Horst & Emmy Warner Centre for Active Living.
UBCM Grant Application for Emergency Support Services Modernization
Council endorsed the City’s UBCM grant application for emergency support services modernization.
Emergency Support Services (ESS) provide short-term support for people in the community who have been impacted by disasters (apartment fires where people have been displaced, floods or earthquakes). If the grant application is successful, one of the ways the funds would be utilized would be to modernize the ESS system moving from a paper-based reception center to an online system provided by the province.
Review of Advisory Design Panel Terms of Reference and Submissions Checklist
Council supported an updated terms of reference and submission checklist for the City’s Advisory Design Panel.
The Advisory Design Panel provides independent, professional design advice, from an urban design and architecture perspective, on matters related to the evaluation of the design and construction of buildings and other significant developments within the City.
Land Use and Planning Committee
Council endorsed two (2) recommendations from the Land Use and Planning Committee requesting to have public meetings for two (2) Development Variance Permit applications:
- Development Variance Permit No. 448 -1122 Vidal Street (DVP 22-007)
- Galaxy Brewing, is proposing to install a free-standing canopy which currently does not meet the minimum setback requirements in the Zoning Bylaw.
- Development Variance Permit No. 449 - 13836 Marine Drive (DVP 22-026)
- The homeowner is seeking relief from the maximum permitted height requirement for an exterior architectural feature (decorative chimney and ironwork) on a new single-family home.
Bylaw 2451: White Rock Zoning Bylaw, 2012, No. 2000, Amendment (RS-1 Zone to RT-1 Zone, 15495 Oxenham Avenue) Bylaw, 2022, No. 2451
Council directed that a public hearing be held, which proposes to amend the Zoning Bylaw to allow for the construction of a duplex.
Two (2) Bylaws received final reading:
- Bylaw 2373 - White Rock Zoning Bylaw, 2012, No. 2000, Amendment (CD65-14401 Sunset Drive) Bylaw, 2020, No. 2373
- A bylaw to allow for a two-lot subdivision for the construction of two new single-family dwellings.
- Bylaw 2453 – White Rock Water Services Amendment Bylaw
- A bylaw to facilitate moving into phase two of a four phase water rate structure.