A public meeting took place at the start of the Regular Council meeting regarding:
- Development Variance Permit No. 452 for 1273 Fir Street
- If approved, the permit would increase the maximum height permitted by previously issued DVP No. 436 for the cupola on the school’s new east-side building addition by 4.72”.
- Development Variance Permit No. 448 for 1122 Vidal Street
- If approved, the permit would allow Galaxy Brewing to install a free-standing canopy which currently does not meet the minimum setback requirements in the Zoning Bylaw.
- Development Variance Permit No. 449 for 13836 Marine Drive
- If approved, the permit would allow relief from the maximum permitted height requirement on a new single-family home, to allow for exterior architectural features (decorative chimneys and ironwork).
Question and Answer Period
One (1) member of the public submitted an On-Table question by email regarding a further breakdown for the 2023-2027 Financial Plan in regard to labour and expenses. The answer will be posted on the City’s website.
Delegations and Presentations
- United Way BC representative, Signy Madden, attended to provide a presentation regarding the United Way’s impact on the White Rock community.
- Dr. Emily Newhouse and Adrianna Spyker, Fraser Health Authority, introduced themselves to Council and provided a presentation and overview of the roles of the Fraser Health Wellness Team.
- Tides of Change Community Action Team members, George Passmore, Matt Huot and Shauna Smith, attended to discuss community initiatives completed by their team over the past few years, and to inform of their team’s plans for 2023.
2023 Events at Miramar Plaza
Council received a report outlining proposed 2023 events to be held in the public open space at Miramar Village Plaza. They endorsed the following events as outlined in the report:
- White Rock Farmers' Market on Sundays, from April 16 to October 15, 2023
- White Rock Jazz and Blues Festival, June 17, 2023
- Live Yoga on Saturday, June 24, 2023
- Family Pride Day on Saturday, July 22, 2023
- Christmas on the Peninsula on Saturday, November 25, 2023.
Land Use and Planning Committee
Council directed that a public meeting be held for proposed Development Variance Permit No. 450 - 1588 Johnston Road (DVP 22-017). The Soleil development is seeking relief from the minimum residential visitor parking stall requirement to permit a shared parking scheme.
- Bylaw 2455 – Latecomer Charges Bylaw No. 2088, Amendment No. 4, 2023, No. 2455, a bylaw to address a housekeeping amendment to clarify the start date, received final reading..
Council approved the issuance of Development Variance Permit (DVP) No. 452 (1273 Fir Street – White Rock Elementary). The DVP was the subject of the public meeting held prior to the Regular Council Meeting.