Question and Answer Period
Three (3) members of the public asked questions regarding:
- The status of a daytime warming shelter for 2023/2024 and further the need for White Rock to provide supportive housing for the community.
- Traffic concerns at the crosswalk by Blue Frog Studios on Johnston Road. A request was made to consider implementing lighting for the crosswalk or to re-paint the lines so they are more visible.
- For the 2024 budget process, if there will be a public survey/ public consultation
All question and answer period submissions and their responses can be viewed on the City website.
Electric Sign Advertising at Centennial Park
Council approved the terms of an agreement with Pattison Outdoor Advertising for the new electronic sign at Centennial Park. The outdoor sign will continue to promote White Rock programs, activities and special events while also offering external advertising opportunities that will provide an revenue opportunity for the City.
Summer Children and Youth Program Update 2023
Staff provided a summary of the programs offered and attended through the City’s 2023 summer camps. Watch the video recap.
Building Permit Application Processing Update Report
Staff reported on the status of building permit applications following the hiring of consulting firm Pontem Consulting Group Ltd. and utilizing casual building official staff. There has been a significantly reduced wait time for building permit application reviews since March 2023.
Facilities Master Plan – Community Hub
Council reviewed the 2023 Facilities Master Plan and discussed the possibility of building a new Community Hub, which was identified as a top priority of the 2023-2026 Council Strategic Priorities.
- the asset repair and maintenance strategies outlined in the Facilities Master Plan for consideration as part of the 2024 Financial Plan process;
- the financial and conceptual work necessary to develop Council Strategic Priorities of Community and Housing & Land Use by moving forward with options for a Community Hub to replace the Evergreen Daycare, Library and City Hall and that this development work include investigation into the feasibility of incorporating civic services, with a seniors’ centre, affordable housing units, daycare space, an arts centre and market commercial-retail space as options; and
- an investigation into the sale of the Waterworks Yard on Buena Vista, housing the Waterworks Operation in expanded facilities at the Keil Street Works Yard and using the net proceeds as a contribution towards a Community Hub.
Council endorsed an amendment to the White Rock Flag Policy to:
- Remove the flag-raising for National Indigenous Peoples Day (this is no longer needed as the Semiahmoo First Nations flag flies permanently at City Hall); and
- To add to the annual schedule for half-masting: September 30 – National Day for Truth and Reconciliation
Learn more about the City’s Flag Policy.