October 1 of each year is National Seniors Day. This is an occasion for Canadians to celebrate and recognize the contributions of seniors in our homes, communities, and workplaces.
National Seniors Day is a great opportunity to demonstrate your appreciation for the seniors in your life and your community. Here are some tips for getting involved:
- Catch up with a senior friend, parent or grandparent on the phone
- Send a heartfelt letter or card to a senior loved one
- Invite a senior friend or family member for tea or coffee
- Enjoy home videos or photo albums with a senior in your family
- Host a classic movie night or watch a favourite film with a senior in your life
- Reach out and help a senior with an errand or chore
Salute for Seniors
Join CARP for an afternoon of entertainment, dancing, socializing, door prizes, and more at the White Rock Community Centre. This event is free, registration is required.
- Date: October 5, Thursday
- Time: 2 - 4 p.m.
- Location: White Rock Community Centre (15154 Russell Ave.)
The CARP (Canadian Association for Retired Persons) flag will be flown at White Rock City Hall to commemorate National Seniors Day.
The Kent Street Activity Centre offers a variety of programs for seniors. With its focus on 55+ folks, Kent Street is abuzz with an amazing array of activities and services. From snooker to yoga, computer programs to table tennis, there’s something for everyone.
Purchase a 2023 Kent Street Activity Centre membership for only half price! Valid now until December 31, 2023. Discover the available activities.
Frozen Meals at the Kent Street Activity Centre
Enjoy a variety of nutritious, low cost meals, soups and baked goods are available to purchase at the Kent Street Activity Centre (1475 Kent St.), Monday to Thursday, 10 a.m. to 1p.m. Transactions are cash only and please bring a reusable bag to pack your items.
Check out the City’s Seniors webpage for local resources for physical and mental health, seniors groups, community based programs, and more.