QUESTION AND ANSWER PERIOD
View question and answer period submissions and their responses.
Council received two (2) presentations from:
- Members of the White Rock Youth Ambassadors, introducing themselves to Council and advising of their role in the community; and
- White Rock School Trustee Laurae McNally, discussing the start of the 2023 school year.
CONTRACT AWARD – MARINE DRIVE AND NICHOL ROAD INTERSECTION IMPROVEMENTS
Council awarded the contract for Marine Drive and Nichol Road intersection improvements to Lafarge Canada Inc.in the amount of $480,291. Council also approved the award of engineering inspection and engineering support for this project to R.F. Binnie & Associates Ltd. in the amount of $30,000.
The Marine Drive and Nichol Road intersection improvement will enhance pedestrian safety and address speeding concerns identified by residents through the City’s Integrated Transportation & Infrastructure Master Plan.
COMMUNITY HUB NEXT STEPS
Council established and approved the Terms of Reference for an internal “Community Hub Steering Committee”. The Steering Committee will work on the required elements to keep the project of a Community Hub on an active track. Recommendations from the Steering Committee will all come forward to Council at an open meeting for discussion and direction. Council also directed staff to hire a Community Hub Project Manager, funded from Capital Reserves.
Developing a Community Hub was identified as a strategic priority for Council this term. View Council’s 2023-2026 Strategic Priorities.
Mayor Knight and Councillor Lawrence were appointed as the two (2) members of Council that will serve on this Committee.
ANDION BIOGAS UPDATE
Council received an update report on the Andion Biogas project proposed on the eastern edge of the Semiahmoo First Nation (SFN) reserve adjacent to Highway 99. Metro Vancouver has reached out to the City to provide comments on the proposed project, following which Council responded with additional questions on the project that were answered on October 30, 2023 (view here).
Council adopted the following resolution, which will be forwarded to Metro Vancouver:
THAT Council receive the corporate report dated November 6, 2023, from the Director of Engineering and Municipal Operations, titled “Andion Biogas Project Update” for consideration and that Council:
- Thank Metro Vancouver for its October 30, 2023, letter in response to Council’s motion 2023-382 and,
- Advise Metro Vancouver that many White Rock residents expressed concerns with and opposition to the biogas facility or its proposed location, and,
- Requests that Metro Vancouver closely monitors any facility construction and operation to ensure that all emissions are within the parameters set forth in the permit application.
Review the full report.
METRO VANCOUVER – STREAMLINING THE DELIVERY OF RENTAL HOUSING THROUGH PRE-APPROVED PLANS AND OFF-SITE CONSTRUCTION
Council directed staff to forward correspondence to Metro Vancouver to notify of their interest to participate in a project led by the Province to streamline the delivery of rental housing through pre-approved plans and off-site construction.
DAYTIME WARMING CENTRE
A warming centre for 2023/2024 was discussed, with Council adopting the following recommendation:
- Direct staff to send correspondence to the City of Surrey requesting 50% of the cost to operate a daytime warming centre from November 20th 2023 to March 15th 2024, with the expected share from Surrey being approximately $180,000; and
- Direct staff to rent and locate the warming centre trailer at Centennial Park at the parking lot at Vine Avenue and Anderson Street; and
- Direct staff to engage and direct the awarding of the provision of warming centre services to Engaged Communities Canada Society;
- Staff to receive any donations provided from the public as deferred revenue and that funds received be allocated to the warming centre; and
- Approve the costs to be funded from 2023 surplus for operation from November 20th to December 31st, 2023 and pre-approve funds from taxation for the 2024 5-Year Financial Plan to cover operation from January 1 to March 15th, 2024, for a total cost of up to $360,000.
The next Regular Council meeting will be held on Monday, November 27.