QUESTION AND ANSWER PERIOD
All question and answer period submissions and their responses (if available) can be viewed here.
Council received four (4) delegations regarding:
- The White Rock Museum and Archives;
- The Surrey Special Olympics;
- A request to ban gas leaf blowers in the City of White Rock; and,
- A request for consideration of free parking on the waterfront annually from November 30 to January 1.
2024 BUDGET SURVEY UPDATE
Council received a report outlining survey results for the 2024 budget. The budget survey was available on the City’s “Talk White Rock” online platform from the period of October 16 to November 13. A total of 163 survey responses were received.
BUDGET 2024 UPDATE
Council reviewed the draft operating budget for 2024.
Next steps for Council will be a high-level consolidated budget review (including asset
improvements/capital) which is expected to be brought forward to the December 11, 2023 Regular Council meeting. Further public input on this process will be available in January 2024.
JOHNSTONE ROAD PHASE 2 UPDATE
Council received a status update on Phase 2 of the Johnston Road project.
Council supported the following recommendations:
- Approved a public engagement strategy for the project.
- Endorsed a full or partial road closure for the Johnston Road corridor between Russell and Thrift Avenue for a period of six (6) months.
- Endorsed extended construction hours and intersection night work.
- Authorized staff to proceed with a request for proposal (RFP) for both a full or partial road closure on BC Bid for the project.
RFP submissions will come back to Council at a future meeting where both options (a one-way or a full road closure) will be provided to Council for consideration.
To learn more about this project view the report here.
OXFORD AND NORTH BLUFF INTERSECTION IMPROVEMENTS – COST SHARING AGREEMENT WITH CITY OF SURREY
Council received an update report on the North Bluff Road and Oxford Street Intersection Improvement Project. The intersection is jointly owned by the City of White Rock and the City of Surrey. Staff have been working on collaborating with Surrey to address transportation and pedestrian concerns that have been raised about this intersection.
Council endorsed the following recommendations:
- Authorize the City of Surrey to project manage the Oxford and North Bluff Intersection Improvements.
- Approve the amount of $337,500 (excluding GST) as the City of White Rock’s portion of the Oxford and North Bluff Intersection Improvements and authorize an additional (approximately 25%) $85,000 in contingency.
- Authorize the City of Surrey to install an emergency water connection prior to the intersection improvements in the amount of $60,000 (excluding GST) and authorize an additional $15,000 (approximately 25%) in contingency.
- Authorize the Director of Engineering and Municipal Operations to execute the cost sharing agreement and any contract documentation required for the project.
CCTV CAMERAS IN THE UPTOWN AND WATERFRONT AREAS
Council directed staff to work with the RCMP Detachment to identify critical areas where CCTV cameras could be installed in public areas to help deter violent crime and collect evidence to help solve violent crime. Staff will also be undertaking a Request for Quotation for this initiative.
COMMITTEE RECOMMENDATIONS – PUBLIC ART AND CULTURE ADVISORY COMMITTEE
Council approved the Committee’s recommendation to install up to 12 informative signs in the walkways district, to be located at the north entrance of each walkway. This project will be funded through capital reserve funds up to $20,000.
2024 FEES AND CHARGES BYLAW, 2023, NO. 2480
Council gave final reading for the 2024 Fees and Charges Bylaw. This bylaw imposes fees and charges for various services offered by the City and not included in other City Bylaws.
The next Regular Council meeting will be held on Monday, December 11, 2023.