Bylaw Enforcement

Please click one of the following links to discover more about Bylaw Enforcement in the City of White Rock:

Note: Parking Services handles all parking-related inquiries, complaints, and issues. Please contact the Parking Department directly.

You can contact them directly at 604-541-2141, or at

Bylaw Enforcement – Regulations

The City's Bylaw Enforcement Department upholds and enforces a wide variety of City bylaws relating to quality of life and land use, including nuisance (noise, unsightliness, smoke) and other incompatibilities. For reference only, staff have provided a list of some of our most frequently requested bylaws here:

If your requested bylaw is not here, staff have compiled a larger list under our Bylaws page. If you are unable to locate a specific bylaw, or if you need the most up-to-date information on a particular bylaw, please contact the City Clerks Office at

Bylaw Enforcement – Inquiries and Complaints

Please contact Bylaw Enforcement regarding any inquiries or complaints through the following methods:

  • To contact Bylaw Enforcement by telephone, please call them at 604-541-2146.
  • To e-mail Bylaw Enforcement, please contact them directly at

Further instructions on how to file a complaint can be located in the FAQ section below.

Bylaw Enforcement - FAQ

Please click one of the following questions applicable to your inquiry:

How do I file a complaint?

Prior to submission of a complaint, be sure to review any applicable City bylaws listed above. Not only can this review ensure that your complaint refers to specific sections of City bylaws, but it can also help you formulate your complaint clearly. 

Staff recommend that any complaints received by the City should be initiated in writing by the complainant. These complaints should include the following information:

  • Name of Complainant
  • Civic Address of the Complainant
  • Contact Information of Complainant (Main Phone, Cell Phone, E-Mail Address)
  • Civic Address of the Offending Property
  • Detailed Description of Complaint

To file a complaint, please complete the following Bylaw Enforcement Complaint Form. You can submit a completed copy of this form either through e-mail (, or in person at City Hall. You can also contact Bylaw Enforcement at 604-541-2146. 

As part of professional practice at the City of White Rock, a complainant's identity is kept confidential. If the complainant is the only witness, or if prosecution is contemplated, only then will the identity of a complaint be made public. This will be discussed with the complainant prior to further action being taken.

What happens after I make a complaint?

Once staff receive a complaint, it is reviewed to determine if it is valid and related to a City bylaw:

  • If the complaint is valid and related to a City bylaw, a file will be created and will be assigned to a Bylaw Enforcement officer. A full investigation will be undertaken, and if a violation of a bylaw exists, the offending party will be asked to take steps to comply with the bylaw.
  • If the complaint is valid, but not within the jurisdiction of the City, you will be provided with contact information for the applicable agency.

How does the City enforce compliance?

Like all other local governments, the City of White Rock uses a 'complaint-based' bylaw enforcement process. This means that almost all investigations result from community complaints. This system gives priority to these bylaw infractions of greatest concern to White Rock citizens.

While there are numerous methods of enforcement available to the City of White Rock, enforcement typically occurs through the following means:

  1. Voluntary Compliance: Bylaw Enforcement Officers will always attempt to achieve compliance with the offending party through voluntary means. Staff may also prepare a compliance plan with the offending party to accommodate unusual circumstances, giving the offending party extra time to comply with City regulations.
  2. Issuance of Ticket / Fine: If voluntary compliance cannot be achieved, or is not occurring, Bylaw Enforcement may write tickets and issue fines to the offending party.
  3. Legal Action: If compliance cannot be achieved through voluntary means, or through the issuance of tickets or fines, then the City may proceed with legal action.

How do I pay for my ticket?

All tickets/MTIs can be paid directly upstairs at Reception in City Hall. Parking tickets are paid upstairs at Reception in City Hall. You can also pay these tickets online at the following hyperlink: Pay Bylaw Ticket

How do I dispute my ticket?

Please submit a completed Appeal Form to the City, either in person, by mail, or by e-mail to

My question isn't here. What should I do?

Refer to the inquiry section listed above.