All Abilities/All Ages Playground - Ruth Johnson Park
Fostering Healthier Communities
The City of White Rock, in partnership with the Peace Arch Hospital Foundation, is enhancing the fun and health benefits of an inclusive outside playground for people of all abilities and all ages at Ruth Johnson Park!
The idea for an all-abilities park came out of the Strategic Plan for the South Surrey-White Rock Healthy Community strategy, which was endorsed by White Rock City Council, in January of 2015. In addition to the City of White Rock contributing to the development of the Strategic Plan for a Healthier Community, in South Surrey-White Rock (2015-2019), the City is also proud to have contributed land, ongoing maintenance, and $225,000 towards the All Abilities/All Ages Playground project at Ruth Johnson Park.
The tentative completion date for this project is Summer of 2018.
To learn more about the All Ages/All Abilities Park and/or to donate to this initiative, please visit Peace Arch Hospital Foundation’s project page here: http://www.pahfoundation.ca/projects/all-abilities-playground
Some Key Design Features of the Park
The All Abilities/All Ages Playground Committee met with the proponent and emphasized the importance of the playground appealing to all ages and all abilities, including the following:
- Inclusion – Develop an All-Abilities playground where people of all ages and abilities can participate in physical fitness activities in an outdoor environment.
- Age Appropriate – Playground to be developed in age-appropriate zones.
- Stimulation of Senses – Unique equipment that uses a variety of materials and colours to heighten senses, experience and overall development.
- Security – People need to feel safe while using the equipment.
- Surfacing – To provide fall protection, yet have low maintenance and an inviting appearance.
Centennial Park All Abilities/All Ages Playground Committee
A Centennial Park all Abilities Playground Committee was created to oversee the Playground project at Ruth Johnson Park. The Committee is comprised of representatives from the City of White Rock and the Peace Arch Hospital and Community Health Foundation.
To read the agendas and minutes of the Committee, please go to:
Corporate Reports Related to the All Ages/All Abilities Park at Ruth Johnson Park Initiative:
- June 27, 2016: Delegation from Peach Arch Hospital Foundation – “All Abilities Playground” (p.2)
- Presentation: “All Abilities/Ages Playground at Centennial Park” (p.5)
- July 25, 2016: Corporate Report, “All Abilities Playground at Centennial Park” (p.24)
- October 24, 2016: Corporate Report, “All Abilities Playground at Centennial Park – Consultation” (p.39)
- December 12, 2016: Corporate Report, “All Abilities Playground at Centennial Park” (p. 82)
- February 19, 2018: Corporate Report, “All Abilities/All Ages Playground – Centennial Park” (p.31)
To watch the live presentations of these Corporate Reports at the Regular Council Meetings noted above, you can do so by going to our video streaming service page and chose the respective date of the Council Meeting you would like to view:
Go to Top