Infant safety is one of the most important things to think about as a parent. Know what to do to keep your child safe.
Baby Proofing Steps
- Do Basic Home Safety
- Secure your fireplace
- Use safety gates
- Use door locks
- Make your windows safe
- Take a special look at kitchens and baths
- Keep cleaners and chemicals out of infants reach
- Baby proofing is extremely important, but remember, nothing takes the place of adult supervision.
Fire Safety Education for Babysitters
When you are babysitting, keep the following safety tips in mind:
- Discuss the family's fire escape plan before the parents leave
- Ask the parents if the house has working smoke alarms
- If you smell smoke, hear a smoke alarm or see flames, get yourself and the children out. Remember the rule – Get Out and Stay Out !
- Take the children to a neighbour's house and call 9-1-1- from there
- Call the parents
- Do not go back inside the home for ANY reason.
Go to Top