Animal Control

Please click one of the following links for further information on one of the following aspects of animal control in the City of White Rock:

Animal Control - Regulations

Pursuant to Part 3, Division 6 of the Community Charter, all animals within the City of White Rock are regulated under the conditions and requirements of the Animal Control and Licensing Bylaw, 2012, No. 1959.

Animal Control - Inquiries and Complaints

For a prompt response to inquiries related to animal regulations, dog licensing and fees, please contact the Planning and Development Services Department at 604-541-2139 - or at

If you have a complaint or any issues relating to animals (including dogs or exotic animals), please contact Bylaw Enforcement at 604-541-2146 - or at

Animal Control - Investigations

To report or follow-up on a dog bite, a barking dog investigation, or any other ongoing issue, please contact the Bylaw Enforcement Department through either 604-541-2146 or at

Animal Control - FAQ

Please click one of the following links for additional information:


  • I've found a lost dog / I've lost my dog. What should I do?

Have you lost or found a dog? Call 604-541-2146 right away. You can also send in a written response to Bylaw Enforcement at It's also a good idea to contact the Surrey SPCA [604-597-5655] and the local papers to put an ad in right away.

If your dog be picked up by our Animal Control Officer, every effort will be made to contact the owner prior to impounding. Once the dog is impounded the owner could be assessed the following charges:

Dog at large fine $100.00
Impound fees $80.00 (no licence) or $60.00 (with a licence)
Dog unlicenced fine $50.00
Dog tag $25.00 or $40.00 unneutered/unspayed (neutered or spayed proof required)
Kennel Impound Separate fees (Contracted out)
  • How do I licence my dog?

You can find more information at the following link.

  • Can I bring my dog to the Waterfront?

Dogs are currently prohibited from the White Rock Pier and the Promenade all year round. Leashed dogs are now allowed on the waterfront area between Marine Drive to the north, Bay Street to the east, and High Street to the west all year round as outlined in the map below:


  • Which animals are prohibited in the City of White Rock?

You can find the list of prohibited exotic animals in Schedule "D" - Prohibited Exotic Animals of the above-listed Animal Control bylaw.

  • Outside of the City, who can I contact for more information?

You may find the following list of contacts useful for your purposes.

Contact (Phone Number)
Contact (E-mail Address)
Critter Care Wild Life Society 604-530-2064
Ferret Information, Rescue, and Shelter 604-263-7481
B.C. Ministry of Wildlife  604-582-5200

SPCA - Surrey Education and Adoption Centre

SPCA - Animal Cruelty Hotline



Silver Birch Boarding