Cultural Advisory Committee Meeting
Date & Time: June 28, 2016 (4:00 PM - 6:00 PM)
The Cultural Committee will meet on:
Date: June 28, 2016
Time: 4:00 p.m.
Location: City Hal Boardroom
The Cultural Advisory Committee will collaborate with stakeholders in the community with a view to implement the strategic plan to make the arts a mainstay of the City’s economic base and advance arts and culture in White Rock.
The specific activities will include:
- Develop benchmarks and timelines to ensure completion of the goals and actions identified in the Cultural Strategic Plan;
- Investigate the ability and willingness of the City to offer tax incentives to building owners who rent to arts and culture businesses or organizations;
- Encourage the local arts community and arts businesses to participate actively on boards of business associations in White Rock/South Surrey;
- Encourage owners of vacant commercial property to loan their spaces to artists;
- Ask the City to invest in new street furnishings that are artistic and functional;
- Investigate renting existing spaces (i.e. Semiahmoo First Nation band shell, schools, churches and empty storefronts) for cultural events and programs;
- Increase the number and variety of cultural specific events held in partnership with local ethno cultural organizations (i.e. Aboriginal Day, Moon Festival, White Rock Irish Festival, Diwali, etc.);
- Explore partnering with Semiahmoo First Nation to co-host more cultural events at Semiahmoo Park (i.e. the RCMP Musical Ride);
- Investigate options and partnerships for establishing a Centre for the Arts in accordance with the recommendations of the Arts Economic Committee in previous years.