Advisory Design Panel
Need specific information on the Advisory Design Panel? Please click on one of the following selections to jump there immediately:
- What is the Advisory Design Panel?
- When does the Advisory Design Panel meet?
- Advisory Design Panel - Resources (Informational Guide, Terms of Reference, etc)
- Advisory Design Panel - Agenda and Minutes
The Advisory Design Panel (the "Panel") is an independent body appointed by City Council that independently evaluates, analyzes, and assesses the designs of various development application proposals as part of the development permit process. The Panel also provides comment on City plans and projects from time to time.
The purpose of the Panel is advise Council on the quality of design of the built environment of the City, and specifically to provide comments and suggestions to improve the design quality of new development and redevelopment in the City. The Panel reviews many types of proposals - from intensive single-family residential development, duplex and triplexes, multi-unit residential developments, to major mixed-use development proposals throughout the City.
In review of development permit applications, the Panel considers the following matters:
- The applicable Development Permit Guidelines documented in the White Rock Official Community Plan;
- Ensure that all new development is of a high standard;
- Ensure that new buildings and structures harmonize with neighbouring development;
- Promote high quality building design, which contributes to the improvement of the public realm;
- Ensure that buildings are designed with all due regard for public safety and accessibility;
- The intended function of the project, and the existing and future context within which the project is located; and
- Ensure compliance with the other relevant City of White Rock bylaws.
The Advisory Design Panel is regulated by the White Rock Planning Procedures Bylaw and the Advisory Design Panel Terms of Reference. Both of these documents are provided below in the Resources section.
Note: If you are a prospective or current applicant, please do not hesitate to contact the Planning and Development Services Department ("Department") for additional information regarding submission or procedural requirements. You can contact the Department at 604-541-2136, or at email@example.com
Panel meetings are called and scheduled by the Department as required. Meetings shall generally not be held more often than two times in one month. Notice concerning the time and location of Panel meetings is provided in the Peace Arch News, and on the City's Events Calender.
Please click on one of the following links if you require any of the following documents.
- The City of White Rock's Guide to Advisory Design Panel Submissions
- Advisory Design Panel - Terms of Reference [PDF - 100 KB]
- White Rock Planning Procedures Bylaw, 2017, No. 2234
- White Rock Official Community Plan, 2017, No. 2220
If you require information on specific Development Permit Area guidelines, please review Part D of the above-linked White Rock Official Community Plan. If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to contact the Department.
Please see the following links for a compilation of all approved Advisory Design Panel agenda and minutes from 2009 to 2018, including the latest development proposals ready for presentation before the Panel.
If you require information on Panel decisions prior to 2009, please do not hesitate to contact the Department.Go to Top