1. Can I book a City Park for a private function?

Yes. Some of our City Parks are available for private functions. Contact Leisure services at (604) 541-2161 for further information.

2. Are dogs allowed on the beach?

Dogs are NOT allowed on the Promenade or City of White Rock beaches. Please see the Animal Control page for more details.

3. Are dogs allowed in City Parks?

Yes, dogs are allowed in some City Parks, but must be leashed at all times. Dog restricted areas are clearly marked. Please clean up after your pet.

4. What is West Nile Virus?

Please follow this link [PDF - 280 KB] for complete information on the West Nile Virus.

5. Do I need a tree cutting permit to remove a tree from my property?

Please refer to White Rock Tree Management Bylaw No. 1831.pdf [PDF - 571 KB]. Permits can be obtained from the Development Services department at City Hall.

6. Who is responsible for maintaining the boulevard in front of my home?

Residents are responsible for maintaining their own boulevards.

7. Can I prune or top the boulevard trees?

Topping of boulevard trees is not permitted. Prior to commencing any work on City of White Rock boulevards, please contact the Engineering and Municipal Operations Department (604) 541-2181

8. How do I purchase a Memorial Dedication?

Currently, there are no Memorial Dedications available along the waterfront. Memorial dedications such as park benches, fountains and picnic tables are available at a variety of other White Rock Park locations. Please contact the Engineering and Municipal Operations Department (604) 541-2181

11. What amenities are provided in the City Parks?

Our guide to White Rock's Parks and Trails provides a full description of the amenities featured in our city parks. Click here.

12. Do I have to pay for parking at City Parks?

Pay parking is in effect throughout the City of White Rock. Please follow the posted parking regulations.

13. What is the City's policy on the use of pesticides?

The City of White Rock Parks Department follows an Integrated Pest Management approach to turf management. Cosmetic use of pesticides is not allowed. Pesticides may be used on fine turf sports fields. Signage will be posted to inform residents prior to application.

14. What environmental initiatives is the City's Parks department involved in?

The City of White Rock Parks Department promotes a variety of environmental initiatives including invasive species removal, urban forestry management, foreshore restoration, the use of native plants, reduction in pesticide use, water conservation and storm waste water management.

We also work with a variety of environmental groups to achieve our initiatives.

15. Is Giant Hogweed, Heracleum mantegazzianum, an invasive plant and what can be done with it?

Yes and it poses a serious threat to natural ecosystems and human health. The Giant Hogweed can reach an impressive height of 15 feet when flowering. The hollow stems are 2 to 4 inches in diameter. The large blossom consists of numerous white flowers clustered in an umbrella-shaped head that is more than 2 feet across.

The sap found in the Giant Hogweed stem and stem hairs causes phytophotodermatitis, a serious skin inflammation activated by exposure to the sun. Symptoms typically consist of painful blisters that form within 48 hours of exposure, and pigmented scars that can last up to 6 years.

If you come in contact with this plant, you could experience severe burns to your skin.

If you are exposed to Giant Hogweed:

  • wash affected areas immediately;
  • keep the affected area out of the sun;
  • seek medical advice for burns.

To remove one of these plants from your own property:

  • wear protective clothing, including gloves, long sleeves, pants, and eye protection
  • immediately remove any flower heads to prevent seed growth and dispersal
  • sever the plant roots 8 - 12 cm below the soil surface
  • dispose of all plant parts in double-bagged garbage bags, and DO NOT COMPOST
  • return to plant site periodically to remove any new plant growth.

If you see this plant in White Rock parks, road rights of ways, or private lands, Please contact the Engineering and Municipal Operations Department (604) 541-2181 with the plant location information.

For more information on and photos of Giant Hogweed, see the Kings County, Washington State website

To prevent other non-native plants from spreading into natural areas:

  1. Never dump garden waste or hanging baskets into natural areas! Rather, dispose of plant materials through the City's Yard and Garden Waste Pick-up Program
  2. Learn which non-native species can invade natural areas (eg English Ivy, purple loosestrife) and avoid planting them in your garden! For more information click here.

3. Grow regionally native plants in your garden (for more information go to the Native Plant Society of British Columbia at