Elder Abuse Awareness Week
June 11, 2013
World Elder Abuse Awareness Day is June 15th. The City of White Rock RCMP Victim Services, a member of the South Surrey/White Rock BC Association of Community Response Networks (BC CRN), would like you to know some quick facts regarding elder abuse and inform you of some upcoming events.
Quick Facts - While elder abuse often goes unreported the BC Ministry of Health reports:
• Up to 10% of BC seniors will experience some form of abuse
• One in twelve seniors will experience some form of financial abuse
• Elder abuse is usually caused by close family members or trusted friends
2011 Stats Canada reports 29.4% of the population in White Rock are 65 years or older. The national average is 14.8%. White Rock is in the top ten of Census regions in Canada for highest elderly population.
Adult abuse is any action which causes harm to another. This includes financial, psychological, sexual or physical abuse as well as neglect, including self-neglect. Abuse can even occur unintentionally by caregivers who are overwhelmed or stressed by caregiver fatigue.
Events - Please see the attached invitation from BC CRN regarding
• June 15 - "Crowd" Event at City Boulevard Plaza
• June 19 - Afternoon Information Session (with dessert) at White Rock Community Centre
To show your support please wear purple on June 15th!
For More Information - additional information on elder abuse is available through the BC Center for Elder Advocacy and Support (includes BC Seniors Abuse and Information Phone Line) at BC CEAS and BC Government Seniors Web Site at BC Government Elder Abuse Information.
Go to Top